Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Day of Family

          I remember how Thanksgivings use to be. My aunts, uncles, cousins and family would go to Grandpa's huge  three story house in Queens (where my mom and aunts grew up and where my cousins probably use to play when they were little). On Thanksgiving Day, Grandpa would have cook up a great feast with all the essentials to a typical American Thanksgiving Dinner. We are a 100% Chinese, but we are also very immersed into the american culture. As Grandpa aged, we started eating out and then he sold the house. I was very sad that we no longer spent thanksgiving together. Old traditions fade, new ones emerge; all in all Thanksgiving still means FAMILY.
          This year, Mom is doing Thanksgiving and we are having some family over to celebrate with us. However, not everyone invited is blood related. I have learned that they don't have to have DNA similarities order to be considered family. 

I am thankful for my parents, my brother and my extended family. As annoying my parents may be, I know they mean well. With all the added stress my brother gives me, I still love him. As for my extended family members. They are playing a bigger role in my life: giving me advice, taking an interest in me and supporting me where no one else understands.
I am thankful for my "god" family: Godfather, Godmother and Godsister. They love me, spoil me and support me. I honestly don't need to say more because my love for them isn't any less than the love I have for my biological family.
I am thankful for my friends. Sometimes people you aren't related to are the ones that understand you the best. I am grateful that I have always had friends that believe in me, even when I do not believe in myself.
I am thankful for my new family at school: my roommate, my building mates, my classmates. I spend 95% of my time in Newark and I spend 100% of my time there with great people. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Spend it with people you love and that love you.
Lastly, I am thankful for good health or none of these memories would be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment